Dec 19 2017



What have you all been sewing lately? Here's a little update on my sewing adventures!

Inspired by the arrival of a new collection of fabrics from Jane Makower, I decided to put a twist on our tunic dress.

For the main body I used a mustard stretch cord from our online shop, and used our Wiggle Dress pattern to add some darts for a bit more shape. As the shape was a bit more fitted now, a concealed zip at the centre back was needed to get into the garment.

I choose a Jane Makower fabric with the same colour in the print for the sleeves and collar as a contract to the mustard stetch cord. I went for a Peter Pan collar, which is one of the easiest collars to draft and sew.

Instead of sleeves with a smooth inset at the head, I decided to add gathers so added some volume all through the sleeves which also meant I could gather the sleeve onto the cuffs.

I added a placket to the sleeve opening, however, I realised afterwards, it wasn’t really required as the cord fabric had enough stretch in it to allow me to fit it over my hand without the placket. It has been a while since I have sewn one though so I am glad I did!